In this TED Talk, Tim Harford tells a few excellent stories about how to inject a little mess when you are stuck on a problem. Here are some ways to inject that mess:
- Reduce your attentional filter, let the noise in and let it mellow. It helps you think outside the box.
- Invite a stranger into your conversation.
- Play with some Oblique Strategies cards, these cards by Brian Eno was used to unblock musicians
- "Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't helping you."
- Play the un-playable piano: introduce troublesome constraints to your situation so you have to innovate around it.